This hearty entree uses half ground turkey and half lean ground beef and no added salt for a lower fat and lower salt taste treat.
Serving Size 2 rolls each
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 54 mg
Sodium 266 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Cabbage 1 head
Lean ground beef ½ pound
Ground turkey ½ pound
Onion, minced 1 small
Stale whole wheat bread, crumbled 1 slice
Water ¼ cup
Black pepper 1/8 teaspoon
Diced tomatoes 1 can (16 ounces)
Onion, sliced 1 small
Water 1 cup
Carrot, sliced 1 medium
Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
Brown sugar 2 tablespoons
Cornstarch 1 tablespoon
- Rinse and core cabbage. Carefully remove 10 outer leaves, place in saucepan and cover with boiling water. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove and drain cooked cabbage leaves on paper toweling.
- Shred ½ cup of raw cabbage and set aside.
- Brown ground beef and turkey and minced onion in skillet. Drain fat.
- Place cooked and drained meat mixture, bread crumbs, water, and pepper in mixing bowl.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid, and add ½ cup tomato juice from can to meat mixture. Mix well; then place ¼ cup filling on each parboiled, drained cabbage leaf. Place folded side down in skillet.
- Add tomatoes, sliced onion, water, shredded cabbage, and carrot. Cover and simmer about 1 hour (or until cabbage is tender), basting occasionally.
- Remove cabbage rolls to serving platter, keep warm.
- Mix lemon juice, brown sugar, and cornstarch together in small bowl. Add to vegetables and liquid in skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and clear. Serve over cabbage rolls.